Diving and Snorkeling in Lofoten
Lofoten is a world-renowned place for its unique myriad of sea life.
Discover a New Underwater World
With the Gulf Stream nearby, the water is often warmer than expected at this latitude. It´s a place for exploring the Arctic underwater world.
Experience the Arctic fauna and flora of Lofoten!
Snorkeling or diving are activities that’s perfect for all ages and does not require tons of experience.
“Lofoten Diving” and “Lofoten Opplevelser” offer local guided tours in both Ballstad and Henningsvær. You can experience trips close to the shore or further out by boat. There´s a good chance you´ll see saithe, mackerel, sea anemones, jellyfish, and crabs, among others. These experiences are just as suitable for beginners as for experienced divers. Especially the program from Lofoten Diving that´s tailored for beginners. Then everyone can participate in diving, no matter their exaperience level.
The Arctic water is cold, but with the suit on, and your body in the water, you will feel warmth and freedom. While at the same time experience Lofoten’s underwater world up close.
Things to learn before snorkeling or diving in Lofoten
Snorkeling in Lofoten is a safe activity that can be done all year round and fits all ages and skill levels. It´s a perfect activity for children or the whole family who want to explore and learn more about the underwater world. It´s also great for a group of friends. During summer, from July to August, the ocean is at its richest flora with the most wildlife activity. And with around 20 meters of visibility, the conditions are absolutely perfect. The temperature of the water varies between 10-16 °C. Equipment, such as wet and dry suits, can be rented at Lofoten Opplevelser and Lofoten Diving.
Suggestions and recommendations
Snorkeling and diving is an activity that is perfect for all ages and does not require much experience. Dry suit is commonly used in the winter season (you can also use a wet suite if you want to dive deeper), while wet suit is used in the summer. Before you book your experience, be aware that you might prepare a few items as per below:
- Bring wool underwear in case it is needed under a dry suit
- Bring extra contact lenses if you wear them, or bring your glasses
- You need to be able to swim and feel confident in the water
- Diving or snorkeling is not recommended if you have major health challenges or if you are pregnant (think activity in relation to your ability)
You can see and experience wonderful underwater life both through snorkeling and diving. The main difference is that snorkeling happens at some distance if you snorkel in deep water. Dry suit is normally used during the winter season (you can also use a wet suite if you want to dive deeper), while a wet suit is used in the summer. Snorkeling requires more equipment and is rented out by diving operators.
Snorkelling and diving is a year-round activity in Lofoten.
The age limit is 8 years.
- Air: You can fly with Norwegian or SAS to Bodø airport (BOO/ENBO) and then continue with Widerøe to Svolvær, Leknes or Røst. You can also fly to Evenes/Harstad airport (EVE) and hop on the Airport Express Bus to Svolvær (bus tickets here).
- Sea: The coastal voyage Hurtigruten sails daily from Bodø to Stamsund and Svolvær at 15.00 (3pm). The express boat Nordlandsekspressen connects Bodø with Skrova and Svolvær.
- Bus: There is a bus service from Narvik via Evenes, Harstad/Narvik Airport (EVE) to Svolvær and local routes from here to other destinations in the archipelago (bus tickets here).
Lofoten Diving, Ballstad og Lofoten Opplevelser i Henningsvær.